Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Why I love being a Miami Fashion and beauty Blogger
Why I love Being A fashion blogger
By Annamarie Ricci
When I moved to Miami from Illinois five years ago, I was excited not only to never have to shovel snow again, but also to get involved with it’s legendary fashion scene. I was not disappointed! I moved from one fashion capitol to another. I came here expecting to write about beachwear all year long. Our legendary beaches of the American Riviera are a large part of our culture but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Miami fashion was much more than bikinis and flip flops. The first thing about Miami that I noticed was the usage of colors on building exteriors that would never fly in the midwest. The pink coral stuccoed walls combined with the blue glass give this city it’s playful, exotic spirit which has become it’s trademark. These cotton candy pastels I speak of are most notably found on the historic Art Deco buildings of South Beach. Living in Miami is like living in another country. It’s a place where it is okay to break the rules-creatively speaking. How great it is to see this freedom reflected both on the runways of Miami and street style. Fashion bloggers or fashion journalists as I prefer to be called, isn’t celebrated like it is here either. In Illinois if you write a fashion blog it’s a hobby and really goes no further. But Miami has not only embraced fashion bloggers like me, the city has turned us into A-list celebrities. Imagine my culture shock. I come here and it’s like here’s an invitation to Nikki Beach; here’s your front row seat at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. Beauty products to sample and review, the exclusive parties-yacht parties people, private resorts and autographed shirts from rock stars like Madonna. It’s crazy! And the Miami fashion scene keeps on growing. It is my hope to see SoBe as it was when Gianni Versace ruled. I never started writing about fashion to be anyone other than myself. I write about fashion because I love fashion. I wanted to reach out to others and share my own personal style. Fashion is a very personal thing and that can be a difficult thing for some people because you are opening up and sharing so much of yourself with complete strangers on the internet.
I believe that an explanation for the popularity of the fashion bloggers lays with the designers themselves. Designers are paying attention-very close attention to what everyday fashionistas are wearing to work, on dates, on a day at the mall. They want to know what young women are wearing, what they are buying and most importantly what we are recommending. So blogging on the internet is a powerful thing. PR companies have people who do nothing but search the internet for these influential voices and opinions. Miami’s style mavens have the power to influence consumers and yes, even influence designer’s collections because we are a reflection of our generation We are at the malls and at those make up counters. So we see and we pay very close attention to not only what people are wearing but How she wears it. And we bridge that gap between the manufacturers and the consumers. Sometimes, being in the middle is the best place to be.
I always understood the power of the internet. But only Miami seems to really get it. Fashion bloggers are invited to get up close to designers at shows and events. Not so long ago, going beyond the fabled velvet ropes was reserved for privileged few. I know this from my own experience as a successful fashion model. There was a time when those runways were lined with nothing but fashion critics, buyers, socialites and celebrities. Now you’re likely to see the everyday girls here too-the bloggers who are not only telling others about the upcoming trends but also how to put the pieces together. For me, the creation Tropic Style Magazine is a dream come true. I am not a lone journalist but rather one of several talented voices writing here. I get up every morning and absolutely love what I do. How many people can really say that? I live in one of the most beautiful tropical paradises in the world. I wake up to the smell salty ocean air and my heavenly gardenias. Every day is a blessing and an adventure that I never take for granted. I am surrounded by creative people who inspire me to be my creative best. Obviously, Tropic Style discusses much more than fashion which will also give me the opportunity to share my other passions, including tropical gardening, animal welfare, and miniatures. Before this article turns into a book on fashion blogging, I am going to sign off, take off my Jimmy Choos, slip into a relaxing bubble bath and get ready for another day of high fashion adventures in paradise.
Labels:
Art Basel,
jimmy Choo,
miami fashion,
Tropic Style Magazine
No comments:
Post a Comment