Monday, February 4, 2013
A Miami fashion model’s perspective on the Miami Florida market
By Annamarie Ricci
Fashion reporting and blogging is my hobby. By day I work as a fashion model, modeling instructor and of course I am considered a socialite. Being a socialite doesn't pay but the perks are great. As I mentioned in a previous post, the major fashion markets in the United States has always been New York City, Los Angeles, Miami and Chicago. Miami is known to fashion insiders as a “secondary market” which means that Miami does not have as many fashion designers and magazines based here that hire fashion models as New York City does. Miami is still has a major fashion scene because there is a large market here for models to do print , catalogue and runway work, we have many producers of television commercials also based here. We even have an International Fashion Week sponsored by Mercedes Benz, just like New York does. Basically, even though Miami may not hire as many models as New York, it is still possible for a fashion model to live in the Magic City and earn a substantial income here.
I must quickly mention that the United States also has what we call local markets in Dallas Texas, Atlanta, and Nashville. We call them local markets because of their limited modeling opportunities to appear in local store advertisements.
Miami was always a fashion capital of the United States. It’s warm climate allows for outdoor photo shoots at any time of the year. It is a particular favorite for swimwear and resort wear companies to shoot their catalogues on our beautiful beaches while most of the country has freezing temperatures and snow. Even though Miami does have the reputation for being all beach wear, so much more is shot here. I would say that within the last 15 years or so, the fashion industry here has increased it’s presence. South Beach’s heyday was indeed during the 1990’s when Gianni Versace was still alive. I can still vividly recall July 15, 1997 when he was fatally shot on the steps of his South Beach mansion. Versace’s lavish shows and parties at Casa Casuarina were legendary. After his murder, things were indeed quiet and frankly rather boring in Miami. But then, we saw fresh faces and new talent arriving in Miami’s fashion scene. Watching our fashion industry recover and flourish again in Miami has been a wonderful thing.
Now each of the cities that I have mentioned, has their own look tailored to their market. I learned the trade of fashion modeling from some of the best in the industry like John Casablancas and Sharon Parker who was the Vice President of Elite in Chicago. I pass those lessons on to my own students. Because of the competition in the modeling business, proper training is a must for those who are serious about establishing a career. I prefer to teach one on one rather than a class where I cannot give each aspiring model the individual attention they deserve. I am also very selective about who I accept as a student. There are quite a few coaches , instructors or schools out there who will take almost any young girl simply because it’s profitable. And if you are new to this industry, this is indeed something you need to watch out for. For example, there was a time in Chicago when a young lady might interview with an agency. She is told that she has potential to be signed but she is just not quite up to par but pay us a few thousand dollars to enroll in our training classes and then let’s see…Times have changed . In the state of Florida an agency cannot operate a “school” for fashion modeling because there was too much of this going on. There are a plethora of modeling scams out there and one would think with the global economy what it is, con artists are finding more ways to get money out of people.
If you want to learn proper modeling techniques, develop your image and style, learn about proper nutrition and make up application, you would get a lot out of coaching, but I feel that it is deceptive for an agency to recruit aspiring models for their own schools under the premise that they may be signed with that agency after completion and thousands of dollars later. And if you missed a class for whatever reason, you would have to pay extra in addition to the tuition fees that you have already paid, just to make up a class. That to me is pretty shady. When I select my students, they must not only have ambition but they must also have marketability. What I mean by marketability, is that there are certain height, and weight requirements. Height isn’t as much a consideration for print or catalogue work however but it is a must for runway. Let me also point out that just because your mother or your friends think you’re so pretty that you would make a good fashion model, does not mean that industry professionals would agree. I don’t mean this to suggest that your family does not know a beauty when they see one, it’s just that modeling agents have trained eyes and they look for unique facial features. It really is difficult to put into words but I think the general public would be surprised to learn that the most gorgeous girls in the room would be passed over for a girl who you might see on the street and think, she could never model. But she has charisma- a special magic that comes across on film. That is the rare gem that agents look for. Again, it is very difficult for me to put into words and define precisely for you what that special something is. But it is what differentiates a top fashion model from all the other hoards of pretty girls ( or handsome young men) hanging out at the local mall.
If I do not think that you have the potential to become a fashion model, I will be honest with you and say so. I refuse to accept money from someone who may want to model, but in all honesty would not have what it takes to become a professional model. I won’t waste my time or yours. Unfortunately, there are many people out there ready to take your money.
Lastly, is it possible to work as a fashion model if you are “petite”, that is to say 5’7” and under? You bet it is and in my next article I will be discussing petite and specialty modeling.
Labels:
how to become a miami fashion model,
miami fashion model,
miami market,
modeling coach Miami,
modeling instructors
No comments:
Post a Comment